Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?
It is difficult for a teacher to be both popular (well-liked) and effective in helping students in learning.
Currently, it is discovered that many university students do not have good learning habits. Some think they should be required to take courses teaching learning skills, while others think there is no need to set the classes as compulsory courses. What is your opinion?
1. When choosing the final course, do you prefer to take a course taught by the professor with whom you have not had classes before or a course taught by the professor whose class you have taken before.
2. A lot of high school students now cheat in homework assignments, by asking other students for answers. Which of the following do you think is the most efficient way to stop?
-asking parents to help stop the students from cheating
-penalty or punishment to the students
-asking teachers to create homework assignment that cannot be easily cheated.
3. In order to get a better performance，such as getting better grades at school or getting a promotion or a higher payment, you prefer to which?
1)doing additional exercise or extra assignment beyond is required
2)participating more actively and sharing your own ideas in a group discussion
4. Which one of the following values is the most important to share with a young child aged 5 to 10?
-Being helpful to others
5. Educating children is a more difficult task now because children spend too much time on cell phones, online games and social networking websites.
6. Students should be encouraged to take courses like science, technology, engineering and math that are likely to lead to job opportunities rather than subjects they might be interested in.
7. Some teachers just lecturing (speaking) on the class and students only take notes; some other teachers make their class time on discussion and students sharing their ideas with the class. Which one do you prefer?
8. Children should play and study rather than learn how to do household chores.
9. A high school has decided that all students must take a class in which they learn a practical skill. School administrators are trying to decide whether to hold a class in cooking, managing personal finances or auto repair. Which do you think the school should require students to take?
10. Students do reading by their own is as important as or more important than the reading teachers assigned.
11. Many schools require children (age 5-11) to work together instead of working on their own during most of their learning process. Do you think it is the best way to teach children?
12. When doing group projects, some people are allowed to choose anyone they wish for; others are allowed to choose those who think differently from them. Which do you think is more effective?
Ø Work & Success
1. In order to adapt to the life in university and succeed, if you are a freshman, which method do you think is better:
1) attending a one-week orientation or introduction program when you are in the university campus and before classes begin
2) meeting regularly in your first year with students in your major field who have entered the university for several years
2. Do you agree or disagree with the following statement: After high school, students should have at least one year to work or travel. It's better than attending university straight away.
3. People should be open to new ideas and change his or her mind to be successful.
4. Do you agree or disagree with the following statement: Taking a lot of time to make an important decision is often considered as a bad quality for a person. However, some people think that it is a good quality for a person
5. It is better for colleagues or classmates to communicate in person than through emails in order to do a project.
6. People who develop different skills are more successful than people who develop one skill only.
7. Young people should try several different jobs before taking a long term career.
8. In order to get a better performance，such as getting better grades at school or getting a promotion or a higher payment, you prefer to which?
1)doing additional exercise or extra assignment beyond is required
2)participating more actively and sharing your own ideas in a group discussion.
9. The personal and work-related challenges that young people face today are not very different from the challenges their parents and grandparents faced in the past.
10. Which one is the most important factor to help you work productively?
- having an environment that is free of noise and distractions
- knowing that you will receive a reward
-doing something you are interested in
1. Nowadays, many movies or films are based on books. Some people prefer to read the original book before they watch the movie, while others prefer to watch the movie before reading the book.
2. Some people think that we should keep away from others to improve our relationship, because being away from people reminds us of how important they are. Others think we should always stay with others to have good relationship because we can communicate with them more often. Which do you prefer?
3. The more money a person has, the more he or she should give away to the charities.
4. Some young people are free in the evenings or have days off at school. Which way can bring them the most benefit?
-to accumulate work experience by a part-time job or volunteering in a community
-to learn to play a sport
-to learn to play a musical instrument
5. In modern times, grandparents cannot give their grandchildren useful advice because the world of today and the world of 50 years ago are too different.
6. If one of your friends has the opportunity to study in either one of two majors, which one of the following majors you will recommend:
- A major that would allow your friend to complete studies and get a degree faster (so that he or she can get a full time job sooner)
- A major that would require longer time to study, but can make it more likely to get better job offers in the future.
7. Out of the following three things, which one would you prefer to regulate in order to improve your health?
-The kind of food you eat;
-The amount of exercise;
-The amount of stress in your life.
8. Getting advice from friends who are older than you is more valuable than getting advice from friends your same age. Do you agree or disagree?
9. If you and someone have been friends for a long time, you continue your friendship even if she does something you don’t like.
10. Do you agree or disagree with the following statement: It is important to have rules about the types of clothing that people are allowed to wear at work and at school.
11. Some people like to buy and eat their meals at restaurants frequently, while others like to do this at home. Which do you prefer?
12. It is better to make friends who are intelligent than with a good sense of humor.
Ø Government & Society
1. The government should offer internet access to all of citizens at no cost.
2. Which one do you think is the most useful to improve our environment? Walking or bicycling to reduce driving , only consume organic food (reduce pesticide), or reuse wastes.
3. The rules that the whole societies today expect to young people to follow and obey are too strict.
4. The government is going to provide funding for one of the following projects. Which do you think it should be?
- Hire more teachers
- Provide preschool education
- Provide additional training for teachers, so that they can learn more teaching method
5. In times of economic crisis, local governments often reduce the money they spend in some areas. In your opinion, if a local government is facing economic problems, which of the following areas should it spend less money on?
-Parks and public gardens
6. Do you agree or disagree with the following statement: The most effective way for government to encourage energy conservation is increasing the price of gasoline and electricity.
7. The opinions of celebrities, such as certain entertainer or athletes, are more important for younger people than old people.
8. Do you agree or disagree: people would meet many problems in their daily life and they would solve them by themselves or from the help of their families; the help from the government is not necessary.
9. In times of economic crisis, local governments often reduce the money they spend in some areas. In your opinion, if a local government is facing economic problems, which of the following areas should it spend less money on
-Support for unemployed
10. Nowadays people are more willing to help the people they don’t know (for example, giving clothing and food to the people who need them) than people were in the past.
11. People will spend less time cooking and preparing food in twenty years than they do today.
Ø Media & Technology
1. Agree or disagree: people nowadays spend much more time than they should using text messages and new technologies such as social media to communicate with each other.
2. It is more important to read and watch news presented by people whose opinion is different from your own view than by people whose opinion are similar to yours.
3. If you need to discuss upsetting or controversial problems with others, will you use e-mail/text messaging or use telephone/voice-messaging?